Saturday, March 29, 2014

Just one more person reviewing the Divergent movie


I saw the Divergent movie the other day. I was terrified when I sat who they cast as Tris. I tried my hardest to watch the Secret Life on ABC Family and wanted to pull my hair out it was so bad. The acting was bad, the writing was bad, the story lines were bad it just sucked, and I'm not even that picky. Needless to say the thought of Shailene Woodley as Tris made me want to crawl in a whole. Over the next few months people told me that they saw her in some other movie that was pretty good and I began to calm down, but I was still secretly terrified. I think I had subconsciously decided not to see the movie until a coworker asked me if I wanted to go, and I gave in.

I must say, I was pretty gosh darn impressed. In the books, Tris has a very subtle (or not so subtle) character transition. She's still the Adnegation girl she was raised to be, but as the book progressed and she became stronger, she began to change. Tris didn't turn into some stone cold GI Jane or anything but she develops a tougher exterior but she still has the same heart. I wasn't sure if Shailene Woodley would be able to pull of the character changes but she did a pretty good job. I was very engaged and I didn't look at her as that irritating pregnant chick from ABC Family. As far as I'm concerned, that's the most important part of a book to movie adaptation.

Things in the movie will change, parts will be left out, and we, as readers and watchers, have to accept that and shut up. Many of the authors that I follow on Twitter of Facebook (John Green, Kim Harrison, and more) constantly say that when their books become movies, they don't mind that the characters don't look exactly as they've described, or if things are changed, what matters is that these actors can fully portray the characters that the authors have created. I wouldn't have minded a slightly tougher Christina, but other than that I have no complaints. It was a great movie.

2 comments:

  1. I was a little worried about the Tris character too - but she did really well!
    Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you about The Secret Life, but I do think that the writing made it pretty much impossible for anyone to be good in it. It was just plain horrendous!! I actually haven't made it out to see Divergent yet, but it's definitely going to be soon!

    Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction

    ReplyDelete